At a charity event where I had offered a makeover with me as a raffle prize, I was both delighted and confused to see that my friend Tim had happily won my services. “What on earth does Tim need doing?” I asked myself. Tim is the drummer in a wicked band called Hot//Light//Fiesta and he had the idea that I could face paint him for their Halloween gig this October.
As much as I love the idea, I’d never actually attempted to face paint anyone before and so I took to Peaches and Cream to have a play with the paints. Enlisting the help of my faithful friend and model Helen, I began to embark upon the task of attempting his proposed look… that of a Mexican Sugar Skull.
On this particular day, it so happened that a client in the shop actually had a tattoo of a Mexican Sugar Skull (how mad!) and so she sent me this beautiful picture to use for inspiration. With this in mind and 2 hours before I had to be back at Uni, I picked up my brush and began.
I started with Helen’s eyes. These seemed to be the most easily recognisable within the theme and so they had to be perfect. I started by adding my black outline and then coloured my patterns in with a yellow paint. One of my bosses, Kate, had told me that it is best to apply black first because if you try to add black to a paler colour it just won’t sit as darkly or dramatically.
Next, I added a few simple coloured patterns to Helen’s face. I had taken her eye pattern too wide to decorate the bridge of her nose (learning curve for next time!) and so I made up for it by decorating her forehead and chin.
Once the colours of these patterns were on, I realised that I had enough time to quickly add a black outline to my patterns. This really made them stand out and definitely framed the whole look much more.
Unfortunately I ran out of time after doing this (who knew face painting could take so long? So much for beginner’s luck…) so I was unable to finish painting Helen’s face white, but I was still quite pleased with the level of detail we had managed to achieve.
TIPS FOR NEXT TIME!
- Don’t keep to a time constraint – I would have had a more successful outcome if I had allowed myself some extra minutes to account for mistakes.
- Apply white to the rest of the face once all detail had been added – this could have made my colours pop and would have definitely conveyed my skull theme in a much clearer manner.
- Use a slimmer brush – finer details might have allowed me to add more of the smaller touches to the skull that make it so pretty and intricate.
P.S I’ve since had a second attempt at this look, photographed below. You can view it by clicking here.